Monday, December 3

Nice view, I'll take it

You know how there was a view from the roof of my old job (last day Friday)? Well, I thought I shoud have one of the potential new job (first day, today). I biked up this road to work this morning. It felt quite good.

Riding home wasn't so clever. Pitch, pitch, black. Reminded me of Dylan Thomas' 'Under Milk Wood'? Starless and Bible black. It was darker than that.

Still.

And... I studied 'Under Milk Wood' for A Level English. It's set in the fictional Welsh village of Llareggub - and do you know, only now, 20-odd years on has the penny dropped. It's 'bugger all' spelt backwards. Duh. You couldn't get the teachers in those days.

2 comments:

Louise said...

Well Em Reggub, as they say in Wales - I didn't know that either.
Is the whole Welsh language basically English backwards?
Are the Welsh basically backwards English?
I had a tape of "The Burt" reading it, which I listened to endlessly, for a while.

Ben said...

I didn't know that either.
With that level of wit and humour, Dylan Thomas was perfectly qualified to sub at Melody Maker...