Wednesday, January 24

Cloth Ears No.3


Swell 'Everything is Good' (Beggars Banquet, 1998)

Second up from the swimming tapes come Swell, lo-fi heroes (if you ask the right people) who rode briefly on Nirvana's coat-tails in the early Nineties. Difference is, I'm still listening to Swell.

Nirvana weren't all that, really. Don't get me started... oh, go on then. Their Unplugged album exposes the songs - they don't stand up stripped down. In my humble opinion, Grohl not only writes better songs, but does acoustic so much better. He learned well.

Anyway, Swell. In the olden days, I used to receive a lot of records in the hope I'd like a few of them and want to write about them. It kind of worked. On occasion, I'd get an album like 'For All The Beautiful People' which I'd snuffle into my bag, whisk home and play to death without breathing a word to another living soul... especially not the PR (sorry John).

There's a handful of records that just bring out the schoolboy in me - this is one. As far as I'm concerned it's mine, I don't want other people liking it, I don't want other people even knowing about it... hang on. Doh.

No comments: