Friday, September 7

I have two words... over and excited


Other people might have two different words in mind after the goings-on of the last week. Very and drunk, hungover and extremely, four and tea. You know. So anyway, I've finally turned 40. Don't know how I've made it, but I have and as a few have pointed out, relatively unscathed too.

There was the party last weekend which was a success I think. Lots of children in the afternoon and early evening, me and Mr Knowles the last ones standing, or sitting down at least, at around 3am. Ish. I think I might have had a snooze in the hammock after Ben stumbled indoors, but was too drunk and can't quite remember.

Anyway, yesterday was the big day. 10 years since Diana's funeral and 10 years since I was 30. Heck eh? The wife served up a cracking present for a 40-year-old in the shape of Nintendo Wii. Top notch pressie. And you know what? 40 isn't that bad. It's like being 39, only you're 40.

I appreciate that I'm rambling now, but soak it up, it doesn't happen that often these days. To cut a long story short, I've been wanting to make some sort of homebrew for a while. We've had apple trees in the last three places we've lived so cider seems a good choice.

Thing is, I've always thought it's probably as hard to make cider as it is to make decent beer. So, after Cuz filled up a carrier bag from the trees last weekend and commented that we should make cider, I had a look online and it seems quite easy. Or at least straightforward.

So, I've invested my birthday cash in a small apple press and some other stuff required for making cider. It arrives on Tuesday. Excited. Overly.

4 comments:

Louise said...

I'm excited too - I've looked up some ancient cider recipes, which I will copy and drop off.
If you grow some sideys and wear a cloth cap, it will be just like Hugh Fearnley's Chideock Cider Circle.

Rob said...

Excellent man! Looking fwd to drinking to your continued good health when you're next down...

Silvana said...

A cider press! How exciting!

I'm 39 this Friday and have far less 'getting old' anxiety than I should have. Anyway, happy birthday! x

NM said...

40 is just like being 39... only i am 40 or in your case, 39... which is just like being 38. etc. not a whole lot you can do about it really.

it was bit odd leading up to the 40, but now i'm there... no bother.

Amazing win for the rams last night eh?